Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Rotating student: Jeff Peacock - working on evolution of resistance in ALKmut NSCLC using CRISPR

+Andriy Marusyk and I have a medical student rotating through our collaborative lab for the next couple of months, here's an intro with a couple figures from a recent grant of mine.

Also, here's Jeff:



Hello,
As an aspiring radiation oncologist, what originally drew me to the field is its investment in scientific research. My name is Jeffrey Peacock, and I am a visiting 4th year student from UCF who is working in Jake’s lab for the first 2 months of 2016. I am excited to work on some really cool projects that Jake has started. I have spent a few years in a wetlab, both during undergrad and before and during medical school, performing genetic engineering on bacteria and yeast to produce commodity chemicals. One experiment that I designed was a directed evolution study to increase turnover of a bottlenecked enzyme in a metabolic pathway. I have always been fascinated with using mother nature to our advantage in the laboratory, especially when curing cancer is the goal.  When I heard a talk given by Jake at Moffitt during an away rotation for radiation oncology in mid-2015, I knew he was doing some really exciting work that I was interested in doing and that was tangentially similar to work I had done in the past. We spoke briefly after his talk and threw around the idea of me returning during January and February to work in his lab. After meeting with Jake a few times, everything fell into place, and I am on board to start doing research with Jake for the next 2 months.




Although 2 months is not a long time to spend in a wetlab, I am excited to begin a handful of projects that will hopefully produce impactful data. Jake was the first to introduce me to the concept of mapping evolutionary landscapes. A paper published in Science in 2006 showed that there exist certain pathways that populations take in order to evolve to handle a selective pressure (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16601193). Once these landscapes are mapped, they can be used to steer populations along certains paths, such as a path that leads cancer cells to be sensitive to a drug (see Figure 1). In order to begin creating these maps, cancer cell lines need to be evolved to gain resistance to various drugs. My active role in this project will be performing radiation sensitivity and genetic assays on these cancer cell lines at different time points during their evolution against various chemotherapy drugs (see Figure 4). The idea is to gain insight into temporal changes cancer cells experience when exposed to chemotherapy drugs and to determine if there are key time points when synergism between chemo and radiation are at its best and its worst.



The next project involves engineering non small cell lung cancer strains with common mutations that confer resistance to chemotherapy drugs to measure evolutionary landscape. Rather than relying on mother nature to create these mutations, I will be utilizing CRISPR/cas9 to perform common genomic edits on non small cell lung cancer strains to create resistance. These cell lines will then be used to infer evolutionary landscapes developed in prior evolutionary experiments and to create mathematical models to predict chemotherapy regimens that minimize resistance.
I remember being asked during my interviews for medical school the question of where I see myself in 5 years. I would answer that I imagined myself as a clinician who is actively involved in research. At the time, I did not know what type of clinician I wanted to be or what role I would play in research, but I knew that both aspects of medicine were necessary to satisfy my insatiable curiosity and my desire to help people directly. I can honestly say as I approach that 5 year mark that I am beginning to see my vision become a reality, and this beautiful marriage between scientist and clinician is more perfect than I could have ever hoped.

Jeff can be found on twitter at: @ggcancer898





6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    An Thái Sơn với website anthaison.vn chuyên sản phẩm máy đưa võng hay máy đưa võng tự động tốt cho bé là địa chỉ bán máy đưa võng giá rẻ tại TP.HCM và giúp bạn tìm máy đưa võng loại nào tốt nhất hiện nay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to be finally cured of herpes simplex virus  by herbalist Razor,Ever since i was diagnosed with the virus i have been using medical drugs to suppress it, i later realized it was causing more damage to my health than the virus,i opted for herbs and got to find out about the great work herbalist Doctor razor have been doing with his herbal remedy. i contacted him and he promised to help me get rid of it,after 4 days i received a package fro the delivery service and it was from the doctor who sent me the herbal treatment in Dallas,Texas USA, And he instructed me on how i was going too take in for the 18 days. After completing the dosage he told e to go for a medical checkup and when i did the doctors conducted some test on me but they were stunned that my status was now negative,they conducted several test on me to be sure. i even went to Medical City Dallas Hospital, where they conducted another test and it was still negative. I am so grateful to you herbal doctor razor , God will continue to prosper you,i pray the world gets to know about you and your herbal exploits. Reach him on his email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp/Call his cell phone on +2349065420442. PLEASE SHARE , SO THE WORLD CAN GET TO KNOW ABOUT HIM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to be finally cured of herpes simplex virus  by herbalist Razor,Ever since i was diagnosed with the virus i have been using medical drugs to suppress it, i later realized it was causing more damage to my health than the virus,i opted for herbs and got to find out about the great work herbalist Doctor razor have been doing with his herbal remedy. i contacted him and he promised to help me get rid of it,after 4 days i received a package fro the delivery service and it was from the doctor who sent me the herbal treatment in Dallas,Texas USA, And he instructed me on how i was going too take in for the 18 days. After completing the dosage he told e to go for a medical checkup and when i did the doctors conducted some test on me but they were stunned that my status was now negative,they conducted several test on me to be sure. i even went to Medical City Dallas Hospital, where they conducted another test and it was still negative. I am so grateful to you herbal doctor razor , God will continue to prosper you,i pray the world gets to know about you and your herbal exploits. Reach him on his email : drrazorherbalhome@gmail.com Whatsapp/Call his cell phone on +2349065420442. PLEASE SHARE , SO THE WORLD CAN GET TO KNOW ABOUT HIM

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW I WAS ABLE TO FLUSH OUT THE HERPES VIRUS WITH THE HELP OF DR. KHAM NATURAL PRODUCT, HIS EMAIL dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com. I was diagnosed with Herpes a year ago. It’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to me and  I feel like my life is over. Living with constant pain is something no one should have to go through, Herpes has also had a huge impact on my sleep . Since being diagnosed I’ve fallen so far into depression I see no way out because i have been to different hospital. I’m taking a high dose of antidepressants, as well as sedatives and sleeping-pills. I don’t know how I’ll ever accept that this is my life now…I keep asking why me because know changes? But I guess reading your testimony really made me feel happy because i believe what i had from people out there who you also help to cure the herpes virus, and i believe so much with your herbal medicine i am going to be out of this bad situation like others you also help before, what we i have done if not for the herbal medicine that i requested for that was able to flush out the bad virus that was making me go crazy. people out there how will i thank this man called DR. KHAM, i will advice you to email him direct if you have disease like herpes etc. dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com or whatsapp him +2348159922297

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm 40 years old female I tested genital herpes (HSV1-2) positive in 2002. I was having bad outbreaks. EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have try different kinds of drugs and treatment by the medical doctors all to know was avail. Six months ago I was desperately online searching for a helpful remedies for genital herpes (HSV1-2) cure, which i come across some helpful remedies on how Dr OYAGU have help so many people in curing genital herpes (HSV1-2) with the help of herbal treatment because I too believe there is someone somewhere in the world who can cure herpes completely. At of the past 2 months, however, I've been following his herpes protocol Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or +2348101755322 and it stopped all outbreaks completely! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following the protocol of his herbal medicine . Don't be discouraged by the medical doctors. There is a cure for HSV with the help of herbs and roots by a herbalist Dr call Dr OYAGU he is so kind and truthful with his herbal treatment, kindly contact him for more information Via oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com or WhatsApp DR on +2348101755322 you will be lucky as i am today

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete